Her gift from us, that I made, was a quilt. Not just any quilt though....my FIRST ever quilt. Special eh? I was originally going to make it wall hanging size but then decided to make it lap size instead. So this is what I did and how it turned out.
****Warning: Lots of photos ahead ******
I have mentioned in previous posts that a while ago I bought a FQ 10 pack of spotty negative in various colours, well I used 6 of them in the quilt I made. Orange, Black, Light blue, Green, Grey and Pink.
I didn't really have a plan or pattern for this quilt, I was just going to go with my gut and see what happens. I got an idea in my head to somehow put all our hand prints on the quilt in a square for each. I wasn't 100% sure of the best way to do so whether it be fabric marker, applique or embroidery. I went with embroidery and matched the same coloured thread with the fabric. I drew around our hands, each onto a different coloured square, using with my erasable marker and then used a back stitch to go around the outline.
1 hand down, 4 to go and an extra square to fill....
Since I had 6 squares and only 5 of us, I needed to put something cool in the extra one. I appliqued the word LOVE. I interfaced some matching fabric to 'stiffen' it up a bit and cut out the letters L, V and E. I had a heart mofit that I ironed on as the 'o'. I then did a rough applique stitch around the lettering.
This is how the panel of my 6 squares turned out. I added our initials in black thread and also added some sashing in between each square to make them stand out a little more.
I cut 3 1/2inch squares out of the spotty fabric - 4 of each colour and made 2 panels to run along the top and bottom of the quilt.
This is the quilt top finished. I used a beautiful yellow fabric for the sashing, borders and other panels.
For the backing, I used a gorgeous vintage blue floral fabric that I found at spotlight. I was excited that it was only $8/metre so took it up to the counter and the sales lady told me it was on special at $4/metre....Bargain!
So this is how it turned out....BRILLIANT! I am very happy with my 1st quilt. There were a few things that I will do differently and change up for my next one though but I couldn't be happier with the final result. I used a black binding which is a little hard to see in this photo but it framed the quilt well :)
I made some cupcakes also to take along to the party, wrapped up the quilt with some tissue paper and a pretty pink ribbon and the headed out the door - Nick and kids in tow.
The afternoon was lovely. The party was held at my MIL's parents pool area (they live in a big retirement village) and as it was a nice morning, we were all looking forward to a swim. The weather decided to pack in and a storm crept in. Luckily there was a big undercover area :)
And my favourite part of today....
My mint chocolate cupcakes with vienna cream icing....YUMMMMM!!!!
Hope you all had a lovely Sunday as well...